ProEducationalToys


Toys can be a great way to interact with your child and to teach new skills. Make learning fun! Visit our Retail Site By Clicking Here

Friday, December 16, 2016

Making Meal Time Great—Part 1 by Trisha Roberts





Weekly Menu Plans

As the New Year approaches, I thought I would share some tips that have helped family life run more smoothly, promote a healthy lifestyle, and stimulate conversation in our home.  Perhaps you can benefit from the solution to my fumbling over the years.

What to serve for dinner


Have you ever stood at the refrigerator door 10 minutes before meal time and thought, “WHAT am I going to serve tonight?” I have, and it does not lead to complete, wholesome meals.
I hit upon an idea years ago that eliminates that problem.  It takes a bit of planning, but overall saves time and encourages healthy eating.  Meals start with good food!

I made a simple table in a document with columns for breakfast, lunch and dinner for each day of the week.  At the beginning of the week I sit down at the computer and spend 15 minutes filling in the menu sheet. (If you don’t have a computer, make multiple copies of a menu table and fill out one each week).  When my children were young, each person in the family could choose a food item to be included in that week’s menu. Everyone knew that they would be having a favorite food that week.  I placed simple dinners on nights that I knew I would be short on time and placed more involved meals on days where I would have more time to prepare.



     Breakfast
       Lunch
       Dinner
   Activities
Monday




Tuesday




Wednesday




Thursday




Friday




Saturday




Sunday






Frequently I based my meals on what I had in the freezer, pantry or refrigerator.  Sometimes I would plan the menu first and make a shopping list from the programmed meals.  If you get advertisements for local grocery stores, you can plan your meals and shopping list around items that are on sale.

Sale items help you save money on your weekly menu


After I had been using my menu for a while, I added a list at the bottom of my document of Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner meals that our family liked and that I knew how to make.  This simplified my planning day; if I had difficulty coming up with a meal idea, I looked at my recipe list and selected something that would work.


For Example: 


Breakfast:

Pancakes
French Toast
Crepes
Biscuits & Gravy
Omelets
Scrambled Eggs
Toast
Bagels
Coffee Cake
Muffins
Yogurt


Lunch:
BLT
Grilled Cheese
Hot Dogs
Hamburgers
Monte Christos
Cream of Broccoli Soup
Clam Chowder
Cream of Cauliflower
French Onion Soup
Tuna Fish Sandwiches
Egg Salad Sandwich
Chef Salad
Macaroni and Cheese
Rueben Sandwich
Paninis


Supper:
Lasagna
Lemon Chicken
Chicken Kiev
Chicken Cordon Bleu
Chili
Enchiladas
Pork Chops
Veal Parmesan
Sweet & Sour Chicken
Stroganoff
Ribs
Quiche
Monicotti
Empanadas
Baked Fish
Gyros
Tuna Casserole
Spaghetti
Fettuccine Alfredo
Meatloaf
Pot Stickers
Honey Pineapple Chicken
Fried Rice
Meatballs and Noodles
Strombolis
Pizza
Chicken Pot Pie
Pulled Pork
Pot Roast
Fried Chicken
Teriyaki Steak
Stir Fried Chicken/Steak
Tacos
Quesadillas




Programming my menu for the week allowed me to provide more variety in our diet and took the worry and stress out of what to fix.  I made sure that main dishes were accompanied by lots of vegetables, fruits, and salads. I knew that I had the ingredients for each meal and did not have to make a last-minute run to the grocery store.  My kids loved that they had a part in what was served and complained less about their least favorite foods because they knew that their favorite was coming soon.


Family eating meals together


Don’t miss next week’s Making Meal Time Great—Part 2 

Conversation Starters!





Blog Administrator:  Trisha Roberts
proeducationaltoys@gmail.com


Copyright © 2016 TNT Inspired Enterprise, LLC, All rights reserved.


Unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable laws.


No comments:

Post a Comment